Pope Francis has arrived to his first U.S. visit, landing at the Andrews Air Force Base near Washington D.C. Tuesday afternoon, greeted by President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and their wives on the tarmac.
Young schoolchildren chanted with warm cheers “Hello, hey hey, hey, welcome to the USA.”, while the Obamas and the Bidens shook hands with the Argentine Pope as he stepped off the airplane.
Pope Francis flew in from Cuba, where he celebrated Mass in front of thousands and had President Raul Castro and Fidel Castro among his audience.
The Pope’s will be visiting the U.S. for the next six days making visits in Washington, New York, and Philadelphia.
Pope Francis will be making visits to the White House, and Congress in Washington, the United Nations and 9/11 memmorial in New York, and a Prison and a World Meeting of Families Conference in Philadelphia. This is the first U.S. visit for Pope Francis and it is a busy one. See his Itinerary below to keep up with his visit!
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22 (WASHINGTON, DC)
- 4:00 p.m. Arrival from Cuba at Joint Base Andrews
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 23 (WASHINGTON, DC)
- 9:15 a.m. Welcome ceremony and meeting with President Obama at the White House
- 11:00 a.m. Papal Parade along the Ellipse and the National Mall (time approximate)
- 11:30 a.m. Midday Prayer with the bishops of the United States, St. Matthew's Cathedral
- 4:15 p.m. Mass of Canonization of Junipero Serra, Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 (WASHINGTON, DC, NEW YORK CITY)
- 9:20 a.m. Address to Joint Meeting of the United States Congress
- 11:15 a.m. Visit to St. Patrick in the City and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
- 4:00 p.m. Depart from Joint Base Andrews
- 5:00 p.m. Arrival at John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 6:45 p.m. Evening Prayer (Vespers) at St. Patrick's Cathedral
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25 (NEW YORK CITY)
- 8:30 a.m. Visit to the United Nations and Address to the United Nations General Assembly
- 11:30 a.m. Multi-religious service at 9/11 Memorial and Museum, World Trade Center
- 4:00 p.m. Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School, East Harlem
- 5:00 p.m. Procession through Central Park (time approximate)
- 6:00 p.m. Mass at Madison Square Garden
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 26 (NEW YORK CITY, PHILADELPHIA)
- 8:40 a.m. Departure from John F. Kennedy International Airport
- 9:30 a.m. Arrival at Atlantic Aviation, Philadelphia
- 10:30 a.m. Mass at Cathedral Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul, Philadelphia
- 4:45 p.m. Visit to Independence Mall
- 7:30 p.m. Visit to the Festival of Families Benjamin Franklin Parkway
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 (PHILADELPHIA)
- 9:15 a.m. Meeting with bishops at St. Martin's Chapel, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary
- 11:00 a.m. Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
- 4:00 p.m. Mass for the conclusion of the World Meeting of Families, Benjamin Franklin Parkway
- 7:00 p.m. Visit with organizers, volunteers and benefactors of the World Meeting of Families, Atlantic Aviation
8:00 p.m. Departure for RomeThis website contains opinionated posts. View at your own discretion.
Subscribe today and get future blog posts your email.